1. What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before?
Had a baby! He's nice, I think we'll keep him.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I am not a resolution kind of person.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Me! Also my good friend from college (who shares a birthday with me) had a baby boy almost two months after me. Several internet friends also had babies, which is good since this way I have people to talk to on Twitter when I'm up nursing at two in the morning.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
None! I rarely travel far, but this year I was more grounded than usual due to the pregnancy-childbirth-new baby cycle.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you didn't have in 2011?
I'm going with the same answer I had last year, the ability to sleep past 4am, oh my hell.
7. What dates from 2011 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
July 19th - Simon was born (duh), October 16th - Simon's first day at daycare (sadface)
8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
Making it through pregnancy still exercising and eating well, surviving the first five and a half months of motherhood and sleep-deprivation without cracking (much). Successful breastfeeding.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I don't know that I have any. Going back to work has been a struggle, but I wouldn't call it a failure, just hard.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Does childbirth count as injury? Because OW. Other than that I've done quite well.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The Snoogle. Stupid name, but it's the only reason I got any sleep in late pregnancy.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My super-genius child, of course. He rolls over! He "talks" at us! He squees and giggles and everything he does is just the best.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
87% of the people featured in stories on the news.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Baby gear, baby gear, and baby gear. Simon.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Telling everyone that I was pregnant and then giving birth to Simon. Coolest thing EVER.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Hmm. I'm not sure, I can't think of anything in particular. I haven't listened to much new music.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
Happier, about the same, poorer.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Snuggled Simon. I did a ton of sunggling, don't get me wrong, but I always wish for more.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
I wish I had enough money to work less, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
We drove up to Minnesota for a few days before Christmas, then to my aunt and uncle's farm in Wisconsin for Christmas Eve/Day, then back to Minnesota. It was so much fun to watch my parents and other family and friends interact with Simon. I so wish we were able to live closer.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
With Simon, yes. Love at first sight.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
I watched nearly the entire run of Scrubs while on maternity leave. Also a lot of Ellen's talk show.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I have too short of an attention span to sustain hate.
24. What was the best book you read?
My reading sort of screached to a halt after Simon was born, but I remember liking A Discovery of Witches, Let's Pretend This Never Happened, and What Alice Forgot.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Same as last year: I don't listen to a lot of music, I mostly leave musical discovery up to T.
26. What did you want and get?
A healthy, happy baby.
27. What did you want and not get?
A baby who sleeps.
28. What was your favorite film of 2011?
I...don't think I watched a single movie in 2011. Huh.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 32. T stayed home from work so I could take a Simon-free nap and we went out to lunch. Lovely!
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2011?
Old Navy Maternity. Ha.
32. What kept you sane?
Same as 2011: The friends who live in my computer/email/on Twitter. What did people do before the internet?
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Same as 2011: Not sure. I can't think of any TV-loves-of-my-life this year.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The news is depressing and scary, more so since Simon was born. I try to ignore politics when possible.
35. Who did you miss?
My parents (who live 400 miles away). Having a baby makes me want them around even more than before, and I missed them a ton before, too.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Simon has so far mostly taught me to slow down, and to chill out on the multitasking. It'll get done eventually. Stop and smell the roses, etc.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Who needs sleep? You're never gonna get it. Who needs sleep? Tell me what's that for? Who needs sleep? Be happy with what you're getting, there's a guy been awake since the second World War.